10.19.2005

Television Timeout #1


I have a small kitchen television I keep on when cooking and cleaning. This gives me the opportunity for a Television Timeout! A chance to knock or praise a current broadcast program. (Sorry folks, I can't afford cable.)

NBC's "The Office" is a show that I love! It involves the dreadful daily going-ons in a Pennsylvania paper suppy company. Shot in a fake documentary style, we get a glimpse at the satirical outcome of humans placed in a confined environment. Sexual tensions, power maneuvering, and a love denied are the common themes, with characters often trying to explain particularily difficult situations with direct camera confessions.

Actor Steve Carell plays office manager Michael Scott. Often insensitive, and not very bright, it becomes easy to feel sorry for him, as many of his underlings are miles ahead of him. He often interjects tasteless humor when he feels his intellect is threatened. It you get a chance, give this dark little sitcom a try. It's on Tuesday nights at 9:30 on NBC.

2 comments:

GetFlix said...

It totally cracks me-up!!

LA said...

It's taken me a long time to like this show, but now I'm hooked. The pivotal scene that made me a believer in this show was the scene recently when an Indian guy in a turban was approaching the office. He turned out to be the IT guy, but Michael thought he was a terrorist. It was hysterical.

I used to work for a guy like this, and at first, this show made me very uncomfortable because it brought back very unhappy days in my corporate past.